PDA

View Full Version : Baiting

GreatWhite
02-06-2011, 09:31 PM
How many of you out there hunt Whitetails over bait? What do you believe is a deers favourite grain?

Dukester
02-06-2011, 10:16 PM
How many of you out there hunt Whitetails over bait? What do you believe is a deers favourite grain?

#1 peas over clover bale
#2 oats over clover bale
corn if you can get also..

rustyb
02-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Second cut alfalfa bail and oats, works great for elk too.

Predator 1
02-09-2011, 12:44 PM

I say Oats...but it would be neat to see first hand, which one they'd perfer if given the opportunity. A guy could easily test this out by placing out seperate piles at the same spot and monitor them with trail cams.

I think a deer's preference grain vs peas vs alfalfa might change throughout the year and conditons.

BULLDOG
02-09-2011, 07:51 PM
I found a blend of oats and canola to work. Apples work good

Paraaronoid
02-10-2011, 09:07 AM
I use oats exclusively now...

Alfalfa pellets vs Oat pile - one of each at the bait site...Alfalfa molds too much when it gets wet...Deer leave it alone. Love the oats though.

Have always wanted to try Peas - I hear great things about them...

People say apples are hit and miss, but from what I have read - it is because of when they put them out...Apples in warm season don't go over well, but if they freeze, then thaw - they are all eaten very quick...BUT, if they are consistently frozen, then they get ignored also - because they are rock hard.

Dad always likes chokecherries better after the first freeze. He says they taste sweeter, perhaps same principle at work.

Halfdoc
02-10-2011, 09:32 AM
I found a blend of oats and canola to work. Apples work good

canola works really good!:)

RAF
02-10-2011, 06:31 PM
I've never hunted over bait mainly 'cause where I hunt there are also cattle and they'd likely eat what I put out before the deer got to it. But, if I did I'd use the same mix I use at the cabin. I buy a mix of oats, peas and corn and the deer eat it as fast as I put it out. All I have to do is rattle the can and they come a runnin' and will eat it out of the can before I can put it in the feeder.

trapper
02-10-2011, 11:04 PM
made a mixture of spilt grain last year worked awesome. peas wheat oats and corn. beet pulp pellets are unreal:p

Predator 1
02-11-2011, 06:26 AM
made a mixture of spilt grain last year worked awesome. peas wheat oats and corn. beet pulp pellets are unreal:p

Where can you get beet pulp pellets? sounds interesting!

CREW999
02-11-2011, 09:39 AM
In order of preference by deer (from what I have seen in my area):

#1 - Canola - They will eat this when they wont look at any other grain ie-mid summer. Damn coyotes like canola too though.
#2 - Peas and corn
#3 - Oats, they seem to like them better if they are rolled oats, easier to digest I think
#4 - Second cut alfalfa bales
#5 - Any cereal will work in winter, barley can be trouble if its all they are eating

I have been using beets last couple years and they work well, i would say about the same as peas except the big beets last a long time as the deer have to work really hard to eat them. A big beet will last at least a week at a busy bait pile. I also tried just about everything from my garden (after the deer raided it) and their favorites are any brassicas (kale, broccoli, kolrahbi, brussel sprouts, etc.). They also eat pumpkins, squash, etc, but not until after it snows. Have not been able to get them to eat alfalfa pellets much, even in winter.

trapper
02-13-2011, 08:08 PM
your local coop feed store will have them