Saskatchewan Hunts - Forum  

Go Back   Saskatchewan Hunts - Forum > Saskatchewanhunts.ca General > Recipes

Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 AM

Default Grouse Recipes

Hi there! It has been requested that I post a couple of the recipes that my family enjoys. I have a couple of them that are super simple and taste great! Personally, I prefer the ruffed grouse, however, both of these recipes work fantastic for the spruce hens as well. I will note that I soak the grouse breasts overnight, bone in , in a big pot of water with some baking soda OR vinegar. I debone them the following day, and either use them or freeze them. (When freezing grouse, be sure to package very well, with no air in your packaging. Grouse tend to freezer burn VERY quickly.)

Deep Fried Grouse Strips

De-bone grouse and cut into strips. Toss the strips into a bag with your favorite fish crisp or shake n' bake. (Lately I have used fish crisp #2 from Robertson's Trading here in La Ronge. AMAZING. Tastes like KFC) Deep fry in hot oil until crispy. Serve with a dip of ranch dressing. My family LOVES this recipe.

Creamy Grouse Casserole

De-bone grouse and cut into strips. Toss strips in flour seasoned with a bit of salt, pepper and garlic powder. Fry in a small amount of oil until meat is cooked through, but do not overcook. Remove cooked grouse to paper towel, and discard any oil left in frying pan. Return meat to pan, and add 1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup, 2 cups of water, 1 envelope of onion soup mix. Heat to boiling, then simmer 15 minutes. Grease a large casserole dish, and add 1.5 cups of raw rice. (Not instant). Pour grouse mixture over the rice, and give a quick stir, just to mix things up. Cover with foil and bake in 350 degree oven for about 90 minutes. Remove from oven and top casserole with grated cheddar. Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese on top is melted and bubbly. Serve with a salad. EXCELLENT!
Old 10-25-2009, 06:28 PM
SaskatchewanHunts Creator

Default Thanks Lisa

Thanks Lisa. Love your handle by the way. I can vouch for Lisa's cooking. I've ate quite a few grouse over the years at Beardown and Leese's Peese's house and its always been A1. Give it a try.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:09 AM

Default Cooking pheasant with the Brits

Check this out. This is how the Brits eat pheasant. Marvelous...

Old 11-01-2009, 11:11 AM

Default Pheasant Ramsey Style.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Question

Would like to taste spruce grouse.Are they the same as ruffed in taste?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:41 PM

Default Not even close

As you already know ruffies are the creme de la creme. Spruce are edible but not nearly as good. Some say they taste sprucey (if thats a word). I don't find they taste like spruce but they are dark meat. I think they are fairly close to a duck. If you can eat waterfowl you won't mind spurce hens. If you come to La Ronge with us some time we will pop a couple and cook them up.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

would love to try them out. Never turn down a new food without first trying it
Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 PM

Thumbs up spruce grouse

I have tried spruce before they taste like liver to me i dont mind them every once and a while.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:05 AM

where do I send the spruce hens for you to try? I no longer shoot them because we won't eat them. There is much better table fare out there so why kill something we don't enjoy. But they are easy to hunt.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:22 AM

one thing about spruce grouse is if you can believe this is that they really are lacking in the brain dept. Ruffies are smarter and that is not saying much. As for eating quality they are not that great, personally i will not shoot them but that is just me. Because they alow you to get REAL close it is kinda fun to watch them